Tuesday, September 6, 2011

How to Become a Basketball Coach

By Charles Atwater



The journey to become a basketball coach has been a continuing educational process that involved patience, an open mind for learning, and a strong desire to help young players develop their skills while honing your skills as a coach as well. I characterize the process of coaching particularly for novice or new basketball coaches as a journey because of the many steps and facets of the game that you will learn along the way. Coaching is a humbling but yet a rewarding adventure no matter how many games you win or lose because it is always about the kids.

I began coaching in a local recreational league when my son was in the fourth grade because he was interested in playing basketball. Up until this time, the only basketball I played was in recreational settings and with friends, not because I did not love the game but because I became a very good athlete in another sport, swimming, and the two sports competitive seasons overlapped. So armed with my very limited knowledge of the game I volunteered to coach my son's team and quickly learned that recreational basketball was just that; first and foremost it was recreational and young folks want to have fun. My responsibility as I saw it was to make sure we are organized on the floor offensively and defensively, that everyone had an opportunity to play, and we had fun.

This experience for both my son and myself lite our competitive juices and we began to look for a more competitive outlet to play basketball. We found another team that we are currently playing with that offered a more structured environment that focused on player skill development. This new organization had some very skilled and knowledgeable coaches but as I found out, all organizations need volunteers and so I volunteered to help coach my son's fifth grade team.

As a novice basketball coach and a volunteer I was given the chance to learn more about the fundamentals of basketball and skill development. I increased my knowledge about dribbling, making lay-ups with both the right and left hands, game management, clock management, and constructive encouragement. I attend local coaching clinics to learn from successful college and high school coaches about how to run practices, skill development drills, and coaching philosophies.

This has become a dream come true although my wife sometimes thinks I am nuts. My son has completed the eighth grade and we mutually decided several years ago that I would not be his coach and this has served both of us well. He has a fresh set of eyes and new coaches to work with. I can engage new players not as a parent, sorry son, but purely as a coach more objectively and now we both can ride home from practice more satisfied with our practices.

This basketball coaching journey evolved from a novice volunteer, volunteer assistant coach, and now as a volunteer basketball coach and is still evolving in many ways. I have coached now 6 years and have achieved some measure of success. During the 2010 season, my third/fourth grade team were National Runner-ups at the American Youth Basketball Tour Tournament (AYBT) in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Likewise, in 2011 my fifth grade team won the National AYBT Championship in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

While success can be measured quantitatively, I prefer to measure success qualitatively; by the joy in a players eye when they create a defensive turnover and we convert it into a basket. I measure success when a player digs deep down during a tight game and chases a loose ball that we need to stay in the game. I measure success during a time-out when as a team we can make changes offensively or defensively while substituting players and we never miss an assignment.

For me it is not about the wins or losses but is about the kids and then I can proudly wear the title of coach. Beginning basketball coaching can be frustrating, overwhelming, but yet fun. Don't give up but embrace each moment and of a young person's life that you touch.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Charles_Atwater



Grab The Bookmarketer For Your Site

0 comments:

Post a Comment